Just because you want a pet doesn't mean you have to adopt a dog or a cat. There are plenty of popular small pets out there that might be exactly what you're looking for. While they all have different needs, they do have one thing in common: they're all adorable!
- Guinea pigs: A bit of a misnomer, guinea pigs are neither pigs, nor from Guinea. These critters need a lot of exercise, so make sure to choose an enclosure with plenty of room to explore.
- Hamsters: We've been keeping these fuzzy little guys as pets since the 1930s. The Roborovski dwarf hamster puts the "small" in "small pets" at only two inches long!
- Rabbits: Want a pet that can use a litter box but still comes when its called? A rabbit might be for you. Be warned, though: they require a LOT of exercise.
- Parrots: While parrots are known for their ability to mimic, many owners feel they should be known for their affectionate nature. Living up to 80 years, a parrot can be a friend for life. Keep them active with fun toys.
- Ferrets: These small pets have insatiable curiosity and unique personalities. Unfortunately, not all states allow them, so do your research.
- Chinchillas: These super soft pocket pets are just adorable, and they're not fussy. They'll live up to 20 years in a regular wire cage.